Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
from the cookbook "Vegan Lunch Box." This recipe is for making mini vegan pizzas. Cooking time includes rise time and bake time for one or two of the pizzas.
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast in warm water and stir well to dissolve. Set aside for about 5 minutes to bloom.
- Meanwhile, place the flours, cornmeal and salt together in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the S blade. Pulse well to combine.
- With food processor running, slowly drizzle the yeast mixture into the feeding tube. Stop when dough forms a ball. Pour in the olive oil and pulse two or three times to combine.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly, just long enough to make a smooth dough.
- Cut dough into eight equal pieces. Shape each into smooth ball.
- Set balls 2 inches apart on a floured surface and lightly cover with plastic wrap. Let rise a room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Any dough that you are not baking right away can be wrapped in plastic and kept in the fridge overnight. Just bring to room temperature by letting sit out for about 15 minutes when ready to make.
- Preheat over to 500°F Place pizza stone in center rack of over--or sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal and set aside.
- On a well-floured surface, pat one dough ball at a time into a 6 1/2 inch circle. Top with topping of your choice, and bake mini pizzas for 7 to 8 minutes until crust is golden and toppings are piping hot.