Recipe by drhousespcatcher
I need to play around with this more to be able to judge the results in all situations. It was from Vegetarian times for the original. Why post it? Because the others like the Moosewood while good isn't good for a specialized low fat diet and the one who has the problem has a chocolate tooth that won't quit. So for special treats such as a birthday, this is a solution. This way you can have your cake and eat it too.
Top Review by n_carson
I was scared when the final batter was so gummy and sticky but it turned out sooo delicious. I added some chocolate frosting (my parents won't try anything that sounds vegan) but nothing else was changed. It's a great recipe and so quick! You can't taste the prunes. Hahah.
- 3⁄4 cup pitted prune
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegan egg replacer powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soymilk
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In food processor or blender, chop prunes. With motor running, add water. Puree, stopping to scrape sides, until mixture resembles smooth paste, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl of mixer.
- In separate bowl, combine Egg Replacer with water, mixing with whisk until smooth. Add to prude puree m mixer bowl, mixing at medium speed until smooth and fluffy. While beating, gradually add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- In seperate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In small bowl, combine soymilk and vinegar. Stir to mix. Let sit a few minutes until clabbered.
- Add flour-cocoa mixture to prune-sugar mixture alternately with soymilk, beating constantly until batter is light and fluffy. Scrape bottom of bowl several times.
- Divide batter among three 9-inch cake pans that have been sprayed with PAM or Olivio and their bottoms lined with waxed paper. Bake until cake springs back when touched in center and wooden pick inserted comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place pans on cooling racks. Run spatula carefully around edge. Let cake cool in pans until room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Notes: Just began trying the purees in place of the pitted prunes. An example of Egg Replacer Powder is called EnerG.