Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an adaptation of Messy Cook's Fantabulous Oatmeal Applesauce cookies. These are kind of soft but dense. They're a nice replacement for breakfast bars.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup honey (you could sub maple syrup)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (fresh grated)
- 1 large navel orange, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mash bananas in large measuring cup. There should be just shy of 1 cup of mashed banana - add a little extra apple sauce if you don't have enough banana. Stir in apple sauce, honey, and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, oats, baking soda, and spices. Add wet stuff and stir until incorporated. Fold in zest, walnuts, and fruit.
- Scoop onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. (I use an ice cream scoop.) Press them a little to flatten slightly. Bake about 15 minutes.