Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a special recipe for me because I only eat this salad once a year! It's a tradition for us Romanians to make this salad on Christmas and New Year's Eve. The original recipe is Russian and contains meat but it's just as delicious without it. I'm not a fan of mayo and I tried to make it as healthy as possible. The sour flavor of pickles blends perfectly with the sweetness of the corn, carrots and potatoes. The combination is just perfect. I hope you like this simple and easy world-known recipe - now healthy!
- 5 potatoes, red skin
- 2 carrots
- 1⁄2 cup peas (canned, boiled)
- 1⁄2 cup corn (canned, boiled)
- 12 pickles
- 12 red bell peppers, slices pickled
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, cold pressed
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- mayonnaise, vegan low fat (optional)
- *I don't know the exact quantities; add as much as you like. Also, save some for decorating the salad.
- * If you want you can replace the lemon's juice, mustard and oil with mayo.
- Boil the unpeeled potatoes until tender.
- In another pot, boil the carrots until ready.
- Peel the boiled potatoes and chop them in small pieces. Chop the boiled carrot.
- Chop the pickled cucumbers and bell peppers.
- Place chopped veggies, corn and peas in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place 1/3 of a boiled peeled potato in another jar - you'll be using it to make the mayo. Mash the one third of the potato. Place it in a bowl and add olive oil, mustard, 3 tbsp lemon juice and 3 tbsp water. Mix ingredients very well. (skip this if you use mayonnaise).
- Add the mayonnaise made in the steps above over the veggies in the bowl and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with low fat mayo (optional) and decorate as you please.
- *I used an egg to decorate but you can use pickles or bell pepper if you're vegan. The recipe is egg-free.