Recipe by A.B. Hall
I created this recipe by mixing and matching several lemon poppy seed muffin and cake recipes. I also vegan-ized all the ingredients. Wow! These are sweet, without a ton of added sugar. These are soft and fluffy, without a ton of added fat or any margarine. I was skeptical of the recipe because I’ve had mixed luck when tinkering with recipes, but I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. They were a hit with vegans and non-vegans alike.
- 2 -4 tablespoons poppy seeds (Your preference, do you want good poppy seed coverage per muffin or do you want poppy seed explosion)
- 2⁄3 cup plain soymilk (sweetened)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (approximately 2 large lemons)
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegan sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup vegan powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
- Combine the poppy seeds and soymilk in a small bowl. Set aside, stirring occasionally.
- Grate the lemons, obtaining 2 tbsp lemon zest. I highly recommend the Microplane Zester/Grater. It is worth the price and makes zesting a breeze. I suspect it will last a few lifetimes (at least).
- Make a “flax egg” by mixing the flaxseed meal with 6 tablesppons (1/4 cup PLUS 2 tbsp) hot water in a small bowl. Set aside, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk together the flours, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the lemon zest and sugar. Rub together, with your hands, until they are evenly mixed.
- In a large bowl combine the lemon-zest sugar, oil, applesauce, lemon juice, “flax egg” and the vanilla and almond extracts. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and the soymilk/poppy seed mixture in alternating batches, stirring after each addition (or, if using an electric mixer, add in alternating batches as the mixer is running). Do not over mix.
- Add dough to the mini muffin pan using a tablespoon (1 tbsp = 1 mini muffin).
- Bake 10-11 minutes, let cool in pan for two minutes and move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For regular sized muffins, bake 18-25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean (I haven’t tried this yet; the time is approximate and my best guess).
- For a 9x5 loaf, bake 50-70 minutes until a tester comes out clean (I haven’t tried this yet; the time is approximate and my best guess).
- OPTIONAL GLAZE: In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the glaze on the muffins. There should be left over glaze. Let the muffins cool completely and store in an airtight container.