1 hr 15 mins
I'd really say this is a lemon loaf, but it is more cakey, than it is bread-y--that's for sure! The brown sugar in this recipe gives it a richer, more buttery taste and all of my non-vegan friends were shocked that this didn't have a drop of dairy in it. This is an adapted and doubled recipe from a Moosewood recipe and although it's not amazingly healthy, it is so yummy that it's silly...!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 335 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl combine oil, sugar, lemon zest and the pre-mixed Ener-G Eggs. Combine these ingredients until oil is thoroughly incorporated with sugar and "eggs"--basically, "cream" the ingredients (you remember that old baking term, don't cha?).
- 3Add the flour, baking soda, salt and milk to the "creamed" sugar/oil mix and mix until the lumps are gone and everything is nice and smooth.
- 4Pour batter into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake until the top has peaked, cracked and/or is a nice deep golden brown. Usually this is over an hours time, but check periodically. It's important not to cook this on a higher temperature than 335, as otherwise it will not cook thoroughly!
- 5Optional Lemon Glaze: 1/2 Cup Sugar & 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice.
- 6In a small sauce pan heat lemon juice and sugar just until the sugar has incorporated, but not carmalized. You can also microwave this too! Then, drizzle over de-panned loaf. Yum.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Lemon Loaf/Bread/Cake
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 620.9
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 305.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 40.2 g
- Protein 9.3 g