Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'd really say this is a lemon loaf, but it is more cakey, than it is bread-y--that's for sure! The brown sugar in this recipe gives it a richer, more buttery taste and all of my non-vegan friends were shocked that this didn't have a drop of dairy in it. This is an adapted and doubled recipe from a Moosewood recipe and although it's not amazingly healthy, it is so yummy that it's silly...!
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 4 ener-g eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk
- Preheat oven to 335 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine oil, sugar, lemon zest and the pre-mixed Ener-G Eggs. Combine these ingredients until oil is thoroughly incorporated with sugar and "eggs"--basically, "cream" the ingredients (you remember that old baking term, don't cha?).
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt and milk to the "creamed" sugar/oil mix and mix until the lumps are gone and everything is nice and smooth.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake until the top has peaked, cracked and/or is a nice deep golden brown. Usually this is over an hours time, but check periodically. It's important not to cook this on a higher temperature than 335, as otherwise it will not cook thoroughly!
- Optional Lemon Glaze: 1/2 Cup Sugar & 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice.
- In a small sauce pan heat lemon juice and sugar just until the sugar has incorporated, but not carmalized. You can also microwave this too! Then, drizzle over de-panned loaf. Yum.