I made this cake for my friends wedding last summer. Many of the guests (non-vegans) at the wedding were worried how the cake would taste. Everyone loved it! The Bride found the recipe somewhere online and we played with it. I tripled this recipe to make this for the wedding ( two 10 inch round cakes and two 8 inch round cakes) You could use my Easy Buttercream Icing # 425083, to ice the cake, but we used my Macadamia Nut Butter Buttercream Icing #425225. To make either of these icings vegan, just leave out the meringue powder. To fill the middle of the layers we used my Vegan Lemon Curd #425233.
- 2 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 large lemon, zest of
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the pans by greasing with margarine and dusting with flour.
- Mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the margarine, water and lemon juice and beat with an stand mixer for a minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat one more minute.
- Divide equally between the cake pans.
- Bake until cakes test done. (8 inch pan about 40 - 50 minutes, 10 inch pan about 50-60 minutes).
- Cool on racks for 10 minutes, then loosen cakes and remove from pans to finish cooling, otherwise it might crack and fall apart from being too warm.
- To remove from pans, first, run a thin knife to loosen the edge of the cake layer from the pan. Then, place a wire rack over the top of it and with a hand on each side of the baking pan and rack, quickly invert. Gently shake or tap the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon handle to help remove the cake layer. Carefully peel off the liner and turn cake layer right-side-up to cool on a wire cake rack.
- When completely cool cover one layer of cake with Vegan Lemon Curd #425233, and then cover with other layer of cake.
- Cover cake with icing of your choice. May favourite is Macadamia Nut Butter Buttercream Icing #425225, but you could use Easy Buttercream Icing # 425083.