Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
- Mix dry ingredients (except sugars).
- Finely grate lemon peel and stir it inches.
- Squeeze the lemon's juice into a small bowl, mix it with the powdered sugar, and set it aside.
- Beat margarine and brown sugar and add egg replacer.
- Add flour mixture and milk to margarine mixture.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour at 350°F.
- Let cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Invert onto a serving plate and drizzle with glaze (lemon juice and powdered sugar combination).
This was a great treat! I love that the ingredients were basics, nothing crazy that I had to go out shopping for. I used applesauce as the egg substitue (1/4 cup applesauce mixed w/ 1/2 teaspoon baking powder per "egg") and it was perfect. I think I will try to make a thicker glaze but the cake was moist and very tasty! My husband loved it and it was very easy to make!
This was a great loaf cake! Dense, moist, flavorful - everything I was hoping it would be. My vegan brother begged me for a lemon cake, so I made it this morning. We ate the entire thing, just the two of us, in one sitting! I'm on a mission to show people that vegan foods (and desserts in particular) can be delicious and satisfying. This is going to be a recipe that I use time and again to prove that point. Thanks so much!
Great cake! It's moist, dense, and very sweet. I cooked mine in a 9 inch round pan rather than a loaf pan for 50 minutes, and I used 1/3 cup oil rather than margarine, and it came out great!