Recipe by D Rusak
Vegan Lasagna, or at least dairy-free (depends on whether you use no-cook noodles or not). The "cheese" in this method is more for texture and flavor- I hate a really gooey lasagna.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, pressed
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces soy crumbles
- 6 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in olive oil for five minutes.
- Add tomatoes and herbs, then simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and sugar to taste at the end of cooking time. Puree to desired consistency in blender.
- Mash pressed tofu in a bowl with basil and vegan parmesan. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Coat bottom of a 9" x 9" pan with sauce. Cover with two noodles.
- Place half of "cheese" mixture over noodles. Crumble half of soy meat over top (I prefer Trader Joe's meatballs- they are excellently seasoned).
- Cover with sauce and noodles.
- Place half of mushrooms on top of noodles, then cover with 1 cup spinach, and more sauce and noodles.
- Repeat layers of "cheese"/"meat" and mushroom/spinach, ending with a layer of noodles and sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Let cool for several minutes before serving.