Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is a favourite in our house. All amounts are approximate - I often don't measure at all. The vegetable sauce is great on spaghetti too. Makes a 10" x 15" [25cm x 38cm] lasagne.
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 16 ounces eggplants, chopped (around 5 cups)
- 13 ounces bell peppers, chopped (around 3 cups)
- 9 ounces onions, chopped (around 2 cups)
- 11 ounces carrots, grated (about 4 cups or 4 carrots)
- 12 ounces zucchini, grated (around 3 cups)
- 9 ounces mushrooms, coarsely chopped (around 4 cups)
- 10 garlic cloves, crushed (less if not as fond of garlic as I am)
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons vegan chicken bouillon powder
- 4 teaspoons mixed herbs (or italian herb mix)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 25 ounces pasta sauce (tomato, onion and herbs)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (choose a vegan wine) (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 2⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 2 pints soymilk
- 10 ounces silken tofu
- 2 teaspoons vegan chicken bouillon powder
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast flakes (or more to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 2 (7 ounce) packets lasagna sheets (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1⁄2 cup vegan parmesan cheese, grated
- MAKE VEGETABLE SAUCE.
- *If necessary (if eggplants have a lot of seeds) sprinkle chopped eggplant with salt and leave to stand (to draw out the bitterness) while chopping the rest of the vegetables. Rinse before adding to frypan with other veggies.
- In a large frypan, sauté onion and capsicum in 1/4 cup oil until onion is clear. Add rest of vegetables and remaining oil. Saute until veggies are cooked through and soft. Add parsley, oregano and tomato paste and cook for a further minute. Add remaining ingredients. Use about 1/2 cup water to rinse out pasta sauce bottle and add this to the sauce.
- Turn down heat, cover and allow to simmer for 1/2 an hour, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the 'cheese' sauce.
- MAKE 'CHEESE' SAUCE.
- In a food processor blend tofu, stock powder and yeast flakes until smooth. Mix cornstarch with a little soy milk to form a smooth paste. Add rest of soy milk. Stir over heat until sauce thickens. Stir through tofu and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- MAKE LASAGNA.
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place a layer of pasta sauce in bottom of lasagna dish. Add a layer of lasagna sheets. Spread 1/2 remainder of pasta sauce over sheets, then 1/3 of 'cheese' sauce, then another layer of lasagna sheets.
- Repeat with remaining pasta sauce and 1/2 of remaining 'cheese' sauce, and a layer of sheets. Cover with rest of 'cheese' sauce. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan.
- Cover with foil and cook in 375°F (190°C) for 1/2 an hour. Remove foil and cook for a further 1/2 hour.