Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is from a great new Vegan cookbook that my sister got me. I always looked at Vegan food as earthy and grose, but this really changed my mind.
- 1 lb tempeh
- 1 lb vegetarian sausage
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian chicken flavored broth mix (check a HFS)
- olive oil, additional for cooking
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 can artichoke heart
- 1 cup rice
- salt and pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) canrotel diced tomatoes, it doesn't say the ounces
- 1⁄2 large onion, dinced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- Cube and marinate tempeh in broth, olive oil, cajun seasonings, cayenne, and Tabasco overnight.
- Brown tempeh and tempeh sausage in pan with additional olive oil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add artichoke hearts.
- In large pot, put 2 T.
- olive oil, 1 T.
- cajun seasonings, onion, peppers, and garlic.
- Saute until onion is clear.
- Add 1 cup of rice and stir over high heat until rice is translucent.
- Add 2 cups of water and juice from can of Rotel.
- Stir and then cover.
- reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 25 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked-- remove from heat.
- Stir in tempeh mixture, can of Rotel, and salt and pepper to taste.
I printed this up for my boyfriend and he ended up making it. So the recipe was made as-is and it turned out fantastic! We like spicy foods so this didn't seem that hot to us and had a nice flavor! This is going ot be our new jambalaya recipe that we use! Thanks!
My husband LOVED it (he is not vegan). Omitted tempeh and artichoke.
The directions regarding the Cajun spice mix and olive oil aren't clear, so because of this I give the directions only 2 stars. I used all of the Cajun spice called for and no cayenne. I only had Chipotle Tabasco on hand and it must be a lot hotter than regular, because I just used several dashes and the finished dish is very hot. I used only 8 oz. of tempeh and think a whole pound would have been much too much. Used a 13 oz. pkg. of Yves veggie brats for the sausage. If I make this again I'll use vegan ham instead of the tempeh because tempeh has such a strong flavor. All in all it's fairly good but I wouldn't make it again without making several changes.