Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious. You'll never miss the meat.From The Giant Book of Tofu Cooking. The cooking and prep times don't include the time to freeze and thaw the tofu. I usually keep a block of tofu in my freezer so it only needs to be thawed.
- 12 ounces firm tofu, frozen thawed and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 8 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup eggplant, diced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup okra, chopped
- 10 broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups brown rice or 4 cups white rice, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, chopped
- In a large saucepan, saute the pepper, onion, tomato, mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, celery and garlic in oil for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Reduce heat and stir in remaining ingredients except the rice.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve over hot rice and garnish with the scallions.
I had almost all the ingredients. I did leave out eggplant and enjoyed all the tastes and flavors. I added a little creole sauce and used red wine vinegar instead of red wine. Thanks for a nice dinner!