Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
If you have a vegan or vegetarian coming over for the holidays or eat this way yourself, this is a great option for the holiday dinner. Great served with a veggie gravy, herbed garlic mashed potatoes and a nice salad
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 3 cups cooked lentils
- 3 cups cooked wild rice (you can use a wild rice/brown rice mix)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup dry whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- fresh ground black pepper
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop onion and celery finely, and crush the garlic clove.
- Spray a frying pan with non-stick spray, and saute the onion, garlic and celery until onion is translucent.
- Add the sage.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray and fill the loaf pan with the mixture.
- Press down.
- Bake 30 minutes covered, 10 minutes uncovered.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.
I made this last night as a test run for Thanksgiving and it was wonderful! The celery, onion, and sage create a subtle flavor that will go perfect with my dressing. I used real eggs because I've heard varied opinions on how well egg substitutes work, and I used 2 cups each of rice and lentils instead of 3 and it still turned out delicious!
I made this for Thanksgiving with a vegan mushroom gravy---my family did not miss the "turkey" and requested that I make this again and again. I did not have egg substitute---so I used soft tofu instead----other than that I followed the recipe exactly and used quantities listed----I actually made it the day before and waited until Thanksgiving to bake after it returned to room temperature-----great recipe---thank you for sharing.
I can not beleive how good this is. It is my new obsession. My boyfriend does not like lentils and he even liked this. It is a great vegetarian main dish. I did cook my lentils and rice in veggie broth to add flavor and added a little garlic salt.