Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have been making this for years and it's the only soup packed with nutrients I've been able to get kids to eat and even ask for a second bowl. Each time you make this soup it will be a little different. Add more or less of a vegetable and you can mix and match with other vegetables not listed. It freezes well so you can take along to work for lunch weeks later with a nice chunk of bread. Enjoy!
- 4 potatoes, peel and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 celery root, peeled and diced (celeriac) (optional)
- 1 fennel, diced (optional)
- 1 leek, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄3 cup barley
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, washed and chopped
- 4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan add all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until all vegetables are soft and barley is cooked, about 40 minutes uncovered.
- Add additional water if needed.
- When done you can mash a little with the potato masher or eat as is.