Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have been making this for years and it's the only soup packed with nutrients I've been able to get kids to eat and even ask for a second bowl. Each time you make this soup it will be a little different. Add more or less of a vegetable and you can mix and match with other vegetables not listed. It freezes well so you can take along to work for lunch weeks later with a nice chunk of bread. Enjoy!
- 4 potatoes, peel and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 celery root, peeled and diced (celeriac) (optional)
- 1 fennel, diced (optional)
- 1 leek, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄3 cup barley
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, washed and chopped
- 4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan add all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until all vegetables are soft and barley is cooked, about 40 minutes uncovered.
- Add additional water if needed.
- When done you can mash a little with the potato masher or eat as is.
I made this once before, and I thought it was VERY bland. It's a good mix of veggies,but I felt it needed a lot more flavor. I tried it again making some changes, and it tastes much better. My changes: I sauteed a few cloves of garlic--minced-- and chopped shallots in olive oil, then added some dry white wine. I used Wolfgang Puck's veggie stock and no water. I also added fresh parsley, rosemary, basil, and 2 bay leaves. Also added chopped celery and shallots to the soup. NOW we're talking good soup!
I just made this soup and it was simply amazing! Obviously, the better quality vegetables used, the better the flavour. I used mostly organic vegetables and made two simple changes to the recipe; I added a bit of wine, two more cups of water and used two organic vegetable bouillon cubes for the stock. This created far more servings then what was in the recipe. We have plenty to freeze and my family loves it.
This was so good! And it made way more than 6 servings.