Recipe by Dancer^
I have used this for many different thing, such as a side dish, or as part of a filling for sandwiches or wraps, or mixed with grains for a hearty entree, or as a chunky dip for tortilla chips or crackers. It just works with everything and kids love it which surprised me.
Top Review by Mirj
I haven't been so pleased to come across a recipe like this in a loooong time! I actually made this over the weekend, but just finished up the last bit yesterday for lunch. This is such a versatile recipe! I pretty much followed the ingredients, except used 3 cups of sweet potato and 1 cup of white potato, not on purpose, I just didn't have enough sweet potato in the house. And that's the beauty of this recipe, you can alternate, mix it up, just stay within the amounts and follow the instructions. I started out having this with some cooked wheatberries, then used it again rolled up in a tortilla. I finally had the last of it yesterday for lunch, mixed with some multi-colored pasta. Next time I make it (which will be this weekend), I think I'll add some cubed tofu and some fresh champignion mushrooms. Dancer, this recipe is truly superb, and thanks so much for posting it!
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled,and diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions or 1 1⁄2 cups red onions, diced
- 2 cups zucchini, diced
- 1 cup cut corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup red pepper, destemmed,deseeded,and diced
- 1 cup green pepper, destemmed,deseeded,and diced
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno pepper, destemmed,deseeded,and diced
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large non-stick skillet, saute the sweet potato in the safflower oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and saute an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the zucchini, corn, all of the peppers, and continue to saute the mixture for 5 additional minutes, stirring often.
- Add the green onions and garlic, and saute an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook an additional 2 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.