Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
When I first became vegan, I craved meat & potatoes and gravy, this craving is the inspiration for this recipe. The gravy has a rich lemon and thyme flavor that compliments the vegan griller (burger) patties. I use Morningstar; I find they have a texture similar to meatloaf after simmering. I use cremini mushroom because I enjoy the meaty woodsy flavor of them over button mushrooms, and they give the gravy a nice dark color. But, you can use the mushroom of your choice. I would serve this gravy with a side of mash potaotes, but you could also serve with yams.
- 709.77 ml cremini mushrooms
- 4 vegan burgers
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4.92 ml fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 44.37 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 29.58 ml parsley
- 4.92 ml lemon zest
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 2.46 ml kosher salt (to taste)
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 340.19 g vegetable broth
- In a sauté pan, add the olive oil and the mushrooms first.
- Let the mushroom get color (remember color adds flavor), so do not stir them.
- After a few minutes, add the onions.
- When mushrooms & onions are brown add the flour and stir.
- Make sure to cook the flour a minute to get the raw flour taste out.
- Now, add the vegetable broth, and stir a minute, so there are not any clumps.
- Then add the garlic, salt and black pepper to taste, leaves from the thyme sprigs, bay leaf, and lemon juice.
- Turn your fire to low, add the grillers and cover.
- Let gravy and grillers simmer.
- After 10 minutes, add the parsley.
- Simmer a few more minutes until grillers are done.
I really enjoyed this over rice. It was so good! Thanks for posting! Made for Vegetarian Swap-July 2010.