This is one of the first vegan recipes I ever tried. While it does not imitate grilled cheese, it has become one of our favorites. Gooey and glorious! (from Vegan Vittles)
- vegan margarine (optional)
- 4 -6 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 4 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon oat flour (see below)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons no-added-salt tomato paste or 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tahini (can omit for a fat-free sandwich, but it adds richness and depth)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard (can be omitted)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Note: to make oat flour, whiz some oats in a food processor or blender till fine.
- The cheeze keeps well in the fridge, so if pressed for time you can double or triple it, and microwave for a few seconds to soften before spreading.
- If you don't have a nonstick pan you can lightly butter the bread.
- Combine all remaining ingredients, water to salt, in a small pot over medium-high heat. Whisk together as it comes to a boil and immediately turn down to low, stirring continuously for a minute or two, till the cheeze is thickened and creamy. Remove from heat.
- Heat a non-stick skillet, or regular if using margarine, on medium.
- Spread it on the bread to make sandwiches. This makes quite a bit of cheeze for two sandwiches, so you might want to spread it over three. (But it's so gooey when thick, yum)
- Grill on preheated skillet till golden, then flip and do other side. Serve immediately. Great with a salad or veggie sticks and dip.