1/3 Photos of Vegan Grilled "cheeze" Sammiches!
White Rose Child's Note:
This is one of the first vegan recipes I ever tried. While it does not imitate grilled cheese, it has become one of our favorites. Gooey and glorious! (from Vegan Vittles)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegan margarine (optional)
- 4 -6 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon oat flour (see below)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons no-added-salt tomato paste or 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tahini (can omit for a fat-free sandwich, but it adds richness and depth)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard (can be omitted)
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1Note: to make oat flour, whiz some oats in a food processor or blender till fine.
- 2The cheeze keeps well in the fridge, so if pressed for time you can double or triple it, and microwave for a few seconds to soften before spreading.
- 3If you don't have a nonstick pan you can lightly butter the bread.
- 4Combine all remaining ingredients, water to salt, in a small pot over medium-high heat. Whisk together as it comes to a boil and immediately turn down to low, stirring continuously for a minute or two, till the cheeze is thickened and creamy. Remove from heat.
- 5Heat a non-stick skillet, or regular if using margarine, on medium.
- 6Spread it on the bread to make sandwiches. This makes quite a bit of cheeze for two sandwiches, so you might want to spread it over three. (But it's so gooey when thick, yum)
- 7Grill on preheated skillet till golden, then flip and do other side. Serve immediately. Great with a salad or veggie sticks and dip.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Grilled "cheeze" Sammiches!
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.6
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 281.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 12.7 g