Recipe by That is Dr House to you
From Chef Beverly Bennett in Vegetarian Child magazine back in 2003.
Top Review by EmilyStrikesAgain
This was pretty good- our first experience with French fried onions! (delicious). We followed AJO's advice and halved the gravy but would probably halve it AGAIN. Tasted great and did the trick but it didn't stand out to me. Will probably make again because it's inexpensive and simple.
- 1 lb frozen French-cut green beans, thawed
- 1 cup soymilk
- 28 ounces French-fried onions, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Gravy (use 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups onions, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2⁄3 cup tamari
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, browned (see note)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease casserole then combine half of the french fried onions with all of the ingredients and stir well.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Sprinkle the remaining french fried onions over the top of the casserole and bake an additional 5 minutes or until onions are crisp and golden brown.
- Creamy Onion Gravy:.
- Saute onions in canola oil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute an additional 2 minutes.
- Add 5 Cups of the vegetable stock, tamari, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper, and simmer for 7 minutes or until onions are tender.
- In a bowl, whisk together remaining 3 Cups vegetable stock and the browned flour.
- Remove saucepan with simmering broth from the heat.
- Quickly whisk flour mixture into the broth to avoid lumps. [And if you have lumps that is why they invented Gravy strainers or pop it into the blender and pulse once].
- Return to heat, whisking constantly, and cook until thickened.
- Whisk in parsley. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Yield: 6 1/2 cups.
- brown flour: put flour in pan over low heat and stir until it becomes a golden brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- Make ahead and store for months.
- Use the left over gravy for something like the herb roast or Ricker's Tofu roast.