Recipe by havolina
I found this recipe on VegWeb: So far I have found no complaints! "This is meant to be a vegan version of the traditional green bean casserole served at holidays, etc., for those of you who loved it and were sad to not have it at the holidays once you went vegan. Many of my non-veggie friends like this better than traditional green bean casserole because it has more veggies and more herbs and spices." - from the website (http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6137.0)
- 12 ounces green beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups French's French fried onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk (unsweetened)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 onion (medium sized, diced)
- 1 carrot
- 3⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- heat soy milk and bouillon in a sauce pan, stirring until cube disintegrates. Do not boil or scald the milk.
- saute onions, carrots and mushrooms in the oil.
- add salt, pepper, herbs and spices.
- whisk starch and water well then pour into the pan of milk. Stir well because it thickens fast.
- add can of green beans, vegetables and about half of the fried onions.
- pour the mixture into a casserole dish and top with the rest of the onions.
- bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the onions begin to brown.