Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a really simple, and great tasting gravy for Thanksgiving or any other time. It will fool meat-eaters, I swear.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or mushroom broth, or a mixture of the two)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Saute the onions and garlic in the oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, soy sauce and nutritional yeast to form a paste.
- Whisk in broth.
- Add sage, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 8-10 minutes.
This gravy turned out better than my mom's made from meat! Win for the vegan!