- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce or 4 tablespoons tamari
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour, nutritional yeast, and soy sauce to form a smooth paste. Gradually whisk in the broth. Season with sage, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, for 8-10 minutes, or until thickened.