Vegetarian Network Austin's Note:
This recipe was one of the Thanksgiving recipes featured in our October/November 2007 newsletter. It was found at www.boutell.com/vegetarian/thanksgiving.html.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 -6 garlic cloves, minced well
- 2 -3 slices yellow onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 5 -6 white mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1Cook the onion and garlic in the oil until tender.
- 2Add the flour, yeast, and soy sauce to make a paste.
- 3Add the water gradually, stirring constantly.
- 4Bring the gravy to a boil on medium heat, stirring constantly (the gravy has to boil to thicken).
- 5Add pepper.
- 6Add salt and sliced mushrooms, if using.
- 7If the gravy is too thin, whisk in 1-2 tablespoons of flour or small amounts of cornstarch to thicken it.
- 8The gravy refrigerates well, but freezing is not recommended.
- 9The cooled gravy re-heats well in the microwave or on the stove.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.6
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 201.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 1.4 g