Wish I Could Cook's Note:
Homemade graham crackers are actually easy! Here is a recipe from Fran Costigan from the best cookbook ever: Vegan Chocolate. Seriously, buy that book. The recipes and photos are all outstanding. This recipe doesn't call for graham flour, because not everyone has that in the cupboard, but toasting flour first has the same effect. It also calls for regular sugar to be ground in a blender until it becomes powdered sugar. That's because purchased powdered suger has corn starch in it and changes the texture. But I think you could probably cheat. If you are making these for crumbs, it makes about 2 cups.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (198 grams)
- 1/2 cup sugar, ground in a blender until powdered (49 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup neutral tasting vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (45 ml)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 -4 tablespoons water, as needed (30-60 ml)
- 1Toast the flour: Position a rack in the center of the overn and preheat to 350 degrees F / 180 degrees Celsius Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the flour and toast for 10 minutes, stirring a few times. Cool the flour before continuing.
- 2Place a wire mesh strainer over a big bowl and add the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and sift them into the bowl. Whisk together.
- 3In a small bowl whisk together the oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix until it holds together. (It will be too dry to form a pliable ball of dough at this point.).
- 4Mix 2 Tablespoons / 30 ml of water into the dough. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the flour to absorb the liquid. Add additional water as needed until the dough is pliable when formed into a ball. It should be glossy, but not wet.
- 5Roll the dough: Place the dough on the center of a piece of parchment paper and use your hand to shape it into a rough rectangle. Cover the dough with a second piece of parchement and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about 14 x 10 inches (35.5 x 25 cm) and 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick. The thickness should be uniform for the crackers to bake uniformly.
- 6Remove the top sheet of parchment and cut the edges to make a neat rectangle. Cut 2 inch (5 cm) square pieces. Using a fork, poke holes all over the top.
- 7Transfer the dough, still on the parchment to the baking sheet. Run a sharp knife through the cuts again.
- 8Bake on the middle rack for 11 to 12 minutes or until the tops are uniformly dry and the bottoms lightly browned.
- 9Place the baking sheet on a wire rack. Allow the crackers to cool to room temperature before breaking them apart.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Graham Crackers
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.6
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 129.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 3.4 g