This recipe is from the book Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Feel free to sub all quinoa flour for the corn flour or vice-versa if you don't have both on hand. I have also used chickpea flour. Whatever you do, just don't use cornmeal; it's much coarser than corn flour.
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup quinoa flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornflour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour (or cornstarch or arrowroot)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (or flax meal)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk (or other nondairy milk)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl (flours, flax seeds, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt).
- Create a well in the center and add the remaining (wet) ingredients. Use a fork to mix well for about a minute. Let the batter rest for about 10 minutes and preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When pan is hot, spray with cooking spray and use an ice cream scooper to pour batter and form pancakes. The pancake will form little air bubbles, but not as much as "normal," so don't worry. Cook for 2 1/2-3 minutes, then flip and cook for 2 minutes more.