Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 mins
modified from ppk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon stevia
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup plain soymilk
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground nutmeg
- ground cloves
- ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- In a large bowl beat together oil and sugar for about 3 minutes. Add applesauce, stevia, molasses and soymilk. molasses and soymilk won't really blend with the oil but that's ok.
- In a sepearte bowl, sift together all the other ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in batches. MIx together with a firm spoon or spatula until well combined. You should have a pretty stiff dough. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for an hour or up to 3 days in advance. (If you chill longer than an hour you may want to let it sit for 10 minutes to loosen up a bit before proceeding).
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease your cookie sheets.
- On a floured surface roll you dough out to a little less than 1/4 inch thick. You can do this in 2 batches if you don't have the space. Cut out your shapes with your cookie cutters and gently place on cookie sheets (if you are using them to decorate with remember to cut a hole with a straw or something before baking). Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let them cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet then move to a cooling rack. Wait until they are completely cool before icing.