Recipe by Prose
I served these to some non-vegan friends (one of whom "hates tofu") and they seemed to really like them. Based on a recipe from vegweb.com. The original called for crushed cornflakes, but when I went to make this, somebody had eaten all my cornflakes so I used Lay's Baked Potato Chips instead. I like the salty taste of the chips better than the sweet of the cornflakes, but feel free to used crushed anything here and add other seasonings to your heart's content. You can find vegetarian chicken bouillon at your local health food store.
Top Review by Patticake24
This was so very good! I'm new to the vegan thing so I was looking for TVP and couldn't find it and used tempeh instead which could very well be the TVP! But It turned out and I was surprised at how much it tasted like chicken! I will make this again, and yes, some of my nuggets fell apart and some stayed together nicely. I think I am going to try and bake them, like the other reviewer did, next time I make them and see how that works! Great recipe though!
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1⁄2 cup instant mashed potatoes, dry (make sure it's vegan)
- 2⁄3 cup crushed baked potato chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Put hot water in a bowl and stir in bouillon. Soak TVP in this liquid for 10 minutes. It will expand.
- Stir in just enough instant mashed potatoes to make a doughy mixture that can be formed into patties. Mix in salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste.
- Dip patties in crushed baked potato chips, covering completely. Fry in oil until crispy, turning occasionally.