Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I served these to some non-vegan friends (one of whom "hates tofu") and they seemed to really like them. Based on a recipe from vegweb.com. The original called for crushed cornflakes, but when I went to make this, somebody had eaten all my cornflakes so I used Lay's Baked Potato Chips instead. I like the salty taste of the chips better than the sweet of the cornflakes, but feel free to used crushed anything here and add other seasonings to your heart's content. You can find vegetarian chicken bouillon at your local health food store.
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1⁄2 cup instant mashed potatoes, dry (make sure it's vegan)
- 2⁄3 cup crushed baked potato chips
- Put hot water in a bowl and stir in bouillon. Soak TVP in this liquid for 10 minutes. It will expand.
- Stir in just enough instant mashed potatoes to make a doughy mixture that can be formed into patties. Mix in salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste.
- Dip patties in crushed baked potato chips, covering completely. Fry in oil until crispy, turning occasionally.
This was so very good! I'm new to the vegan thing so I was looking for TVP and couldn't find it and used tempeh instead which could very well be the TVP! But It turned out and I was surprised at how much it tasted like chicken! I will make this again, and yes, some of my nuggets fell apart and some stayed together nicely. I think I am going to try and bake them, like the other reviewer did, next time I make them and see how that works! Great recipe though!
I had such high hopes for these! In the end however they were very crumbly (I got them cooked without a problem, but when I went to stick them with a fork they just fell apart) And the texture just wasn't there. The taste was more potato flake then "chicken - y" This is something I'll probably still fool with a couple of times and see if I can make it work. The mix of tvp and potato just seems like it should work perfectly! Thanks for the idea Prose!
A new favorite! This definitely made me look forward to using TVP more. I ended up using nutritional yeast instead of potato flakes but it worked out great-- packed these babies with protein and micronutrients with pleasant cheesy aftertaste! Added a little Season-All. I had to add some olive oil because it was dry and crumbly at first, it helped hold it together well. I coated in French's french fried onions (hey, the other ingredients were healthy enough.) I followed JenniferM's instructions to bake at a high heat rather than fry. Just D-I-V-I-N-E! Made for Veggie Swap 22.