Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Rebar Cookbook, this is a vegan french toast recipe for decadent french toast without eggs, cream, or butter. Posted by request.
- 1 banana
- 1 cup rice milk or 1 cup soymilk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons arrowroot or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf multigrain bread
- Place all ingredients (except bread!) into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a large, shallow bowl, and set aside.
- Slice bread into 8 thick slices. Heat a griddle or pan and brush with oil. Submerge bread slices into the batter, lift out with a pair of tongs, and place onto hot pan. Cook until golden brown, flip and cook on the reverse side. Serve immediately with your favourite toppings.
Deliciously decadent! And you BARELY need any syrup because the banana and coconut milk give a nice sweetness already. Next time I have to remember to let my bread sit out overnight to get a little stale, mine might have been a little too fresh, so the centers were soft. French toast was one of the first breakfast foods I learned to make as a little girl, but I always hated sticking my fingers in the raw egg, sothis recipe was perfect!
Finally, I can eat french toast again! This is a really tasty and EASY recipe. I used vanilla almond milk instead of the other milks and vanilla. It made it that much easier. A half recipe was more than enough for 3 slices of bread. Thanks for a recipe that my entire family loves! :-)
Very sweet and delectible french toast, we enjoyed it very much. I had 2 types of bread to use up, definitely the sturdy sprouted whole grain bread worked out the best. And it is worth taking your time to cook slower than traditional french toast on a lower heat, so that the centre cooks thru and the outside gets a nice crunch, (I find that with all vegan versions), so put the toaster oven on and keep them warm as you go. What I really like about this version is the flavour, the coconut is subtle and banana not overwhelming. I made half the batter and still got 7 pieces of toast. Delicious, I feel like I've had a real treat!