1/1 Photo of Vegan French Onion Soup
1 hr 20 mins
magpie diner's Note:
Tweaked from a few online recipes. I always enjoyed this soup as a meat eater, haven't had it in years so I'm happy to have this vegan variation now. It's warm and comforting and fairly simple, although there is a lot of chopping involved with the onions, so pull out your processor! Skip the cheese on top if you are not a fan of vegan cheese. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 medium onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (powder)
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 whole wheat baguette (or sub Italian style bread...same result)
- 1 1/2 cups grated soy mozzarella cheese
- 1Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a soup pot. Add the onions and sauté them until golden, being careful not to burn - adjust heat down if necessary.
- 2Add the garlic and continue to sauté slowly until the onions are lightly and evenly browned, stirring frequently, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- 3Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 4Pour the water over the onions and give them a good stir. Then add the broth, wine, and mustard. Bring to a gentle boil, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Season to your tastes with salt and pepper.
- 5While the soup is simmering, cut the bread into 1-inch-thick slices, allowing 1 or 2 slices per serving depending on the size of your soup bowls. Lay the slices on a baking sheet and bake them for about 15 minutes until they are dry and crisp, turning the slices over once about halfway through the baking time. Watch that they don't burn.
- 6To assemble the soup, place one layer of bread (1 or 2 slices) in each ovenproof bowl and ladle a serving of soup over it.
- 7If you're using the cheese - sprinkle about 1/4 cup of the grated cheese over each. Place the bowls back onto the baking sheet and bake them for approximately 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.9
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat baguette
soy mozzarella cheese