Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Tweaked from a few online recipes. I always enjoyed this soup as a meat eater, haven't had it in years so I'm happy to have this vegan variation now. It's warm and comforting and fairly simple, although there is a lot of chopping involved with the onions, so pull out your processor! Skip the cheese on top if you are not a fan of vegan cheese. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 medium onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (powder)
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 whole wheat baguette (or sub Italian style bread...same result)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated soy mozzarella cheese
- Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a soup pot. Add the onions and sauté them until golden, being careful not to burn - adjust heat down if necessary.
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté slowly until the onions are lightly and evenly browned, stirring frequently, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour the water over the onions and give them a good stir. Then add the broth, wine, and mustard. Bring to a gentle boil, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Season to your tastes with salt and pepper.
- While the soup is simmering, cut the bread into 1-inch-thick slices, allowing 1 or 2 slices per serving depending on the size of your soup bowls. Lay the slices on a baking sheet and bake them for about 15 minutes until they are dry and crisp, turning the slices over once about halfway through the baking time. Watch that they don't burn.
- To assemble the soup, place one layer of bread (1 or 2 slices) in each ovenproof bowl and ladle a serving of soup over it.
- If you're using the cheese - sprinkle about 1/4 cup of the grated cheese over each. Place the bowls back onto the baking sheet and bake them for approximately 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
This was our first attempt at making French Onion Soup (vegan or otherwise...), and it turned out quite delightful. We topped it with Daiya vegan shredded cheese, which we use for many other purposes as well (if you haven't tried it for vegan grilled cheese sandwiches, what in the world are you waiting for???). Because it's just my wife and me, I cut the recipe in half, and the only change I made was to add 1/8 t of liquid smoke for a little more flavor. My wife and I both loved it and will definitely make it again and add it to our growing recipe book.
Tastes great!! I added some flour so I has a creamy gravy feel and taste. I'm going to use this to make veggie stroganoff since it has such a rich deep flavor.
I did cut this recipe in half since there were just 2 of us & I pretty much followed the recipe, but did omit the cheese & did use the whole wheat bread! Although I'm not the biggest fan of this kind of soup, my other half really enjoyed it! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a recipenap in Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 16]