Prep 8 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got this recipe from www.chow.com. I needed a vegan icing recipe and this one looks very nice.
- 1⁄2 cup Earth Balance shortening
- 1⁄2 cup Earth Balance margarine
- 3 1⁄2 cups icing sugar (sift if lumpy)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract (organic please)
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk (plain or plain soy creamer)
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for 3 more minutes.
- Add the vanilla. Add the soy milk/creamer slowly. You should be left with a light fluffy frosting.
- You can also stir in a 1/2 cup of crushed cookies, or vegan chocolate cream filled sandwich cookies.
This is the first time I've made vegan "buttercream" frosting, so I was surprised at how well it came out. The consistency is just right for piping. I did feel the flavor was a bit bland (probably because I'm accustomed to dairy-based buttercream), so I added 1 tsp. more of vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp. of salt. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I made it because one of my son's friends has a milk allergy, and I didn't want the little guy to feel left out when the rest of his friends enjoyed their cupcakes. Thanks again! This one's a keeper!
I thought this was a great topping to my vegan cupcakes, it was a perfect consistency, I used almond milk instead of the soy and I have made it with coconut milk too, depending on what you are going for, if you want to add flavor just substitute flavoring for the vanilla extract--i used lemon extract for lemon buttercream.
This was very good. I couldn't find the shortening, so I doubled the margarine but probably should have halved the recipe-- this makes a LOT of frosting. I used it to ice the Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes that appear on chow.com (from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.) Thanks for posting!