Recipe by Zenmaria
I found this recipe on fatfreevegan.com. The original recipe called for chickpeas but I changed it to lentils because I love lentils and corn. My family ate this up when we had it! I served it with Vegan Mashed Cauliflower (Instead of Mashed Potatoes) (instead of mashed potatoes), green beans and vegan gravy. Also, I didn't use a food processor to blend this, I left it chunky.
Top Review by Anoushka
Used the recipe for veggie burger patties. I'm not vegan so I added an egg to the mix. I changed the lentil / corn ratio (2 cups of lentils, 1/2 cup corn) because I wanted lots of proteins. Added 1 garlic clove and I suggest to go easy on the thyme. Put the patties on a plate sprinkled with cornmeal and sprinkled more on top. Fried them in a little oil. Next time will try in the oven. Delicious!
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears) or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (optional)
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook lentils in water or veggie broth until tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon water in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn, onion, and thyme; sauté 2 minutes.
- Place onion mixture, lentils, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, salt, flaxseed, water and red pepper in a food processor. Pulse 2 times or until combined and chunky - or mash by hand.
- Divide lentil mixture into 4-6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add patties; cook 5 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; cook 5 minutes or until golden. Enjoy!