Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is adapted from a Lundberg Rice recipe. No sugar or HFCS here - this uses brown rice syrup instead. You can substitute any dried fruit in for the apricots such as cranberries, raisins, or dates and any nuts for the walnuts such as peanuts, almonds, or pecans. Lots of room for variation!!
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup carob chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup turbinado sugar or 1 cup organic light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice syrup (Lundberg Sweet Dreams)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup almond butter or 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- Mix the flax and water together and let it soak.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine oats, flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in apricots, carob chips, and walnuts.
- Wisk together sugar, rice syrup, almond butter, applesauce, and soaked flax.
- Stir in oat mixture.
- Spread mixture in 9x13 pre-sprayed pan and pat down firmly.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.