Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 4 long Chinese eggplants, cut lengthwise into quarters
- 2 ounces agar-agar, cut into strips (or substitute shredded lettuce) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 green onions, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot chili oil (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- Place the eggplant in a shallow heat-proof dish and steam over high heat for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Test with a fork.
- When cooled, tear into thin strips or cut into a 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a bowl, cover the optional agar-agar with cold water for 10 seconds or until pliable.
- Drain, cut into 1-inch lengths and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly mix together the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Arrange the agar-agar in a shallow platter.
- Toss the chilled eggplant with the vinaigrette and scatter over the agar-agar.
- Garnish with a sprig of coriander and the toasted sesame seeds.