Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Based on my vegan eggless pumpkin cupcakes recipe, I made these because I was craving gingerbread and had some canned squash puree I wanted to try in a cake form. It resulted in a different but tasty cupcake that went awesome with a vanilla-maple frosting. Yields about 12-15 cupcakes depending on how you fill the papers.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 cup squash puree
- 4 tablespoons canola oil (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened soymilk (approx, see directions)
- Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and spices together in a bowl.
- Add the squash puree and oil and whisk well, the dough should be thick and hard to mix now.
- Add just enough soymilk to make the dough creamy and no flour sticking to the bottom of the bowl, but make sure it's not too runny.
- Line a cupcake pan with 12 muffin papers and fill each one about halfway. Get another pan and add more papers if you have more batter.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until the tops have browned and set. Let cool before adding the frosting of your choice.