Recipe by BB2011
I developed this recipe with the goal of making a sweet, chocolatey treat with some strawberries I picked. I had frozen and thawed the strawberries, but you can use fresh if you wish. The muffins use techniques that you will probably recognize from brownie recipes, so they are really a cross between muffins and brownies.
Top Review by amandakoop
Really good recipe! I made a couple of substitutions (which made them non-vegan) but they still turned out great. I substituted 1/4 of the flour for coconut flour, used dairy milk, and instead of the egg substitute I used 1 egg and 1/4 cup apple sauce. For the chocolate I used a 100g block of Lindt 70% cocoa. I melted 1/3 the block with the butter and broke the rest into pieces that I pressed into the top of each muffin. Loved the way the muffins popped right out of the muffin tin so easily. Couldn't wait for them to cool, so I had one while still warm served with chocolate ice cream. So yummy! Thanks for sharing :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 Ener-G Egg Substitute
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 cup Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 12 muffin tins with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and baking powder.
- Melt the margarine and 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips carefully in the microwave. While this mixture cools, mix the egg replacer, vanilla, oil, and soymilk in a separate bowl. Add the margarine-chocolate chip mixture to this bowl once it has cooled for a couple of minutes.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Make sure the batter is cool, and then stir in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Make sure strawberries are washed and cored, and press one into the center of each batter-filled muffin tin. Cover completely with batter.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips evenly over the batter and gently press into the tops just enough to hold them in place.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes, then gently remove from muffin tin.