Decadent tasting, dark chocolate, with tons of protein, added fruits and veggies and no added oil. Very flexible recipe. I usually make this with eggs since I'm not vegan just dairy free at this point but have made them successfully with chia and/or flax seed eggs. Use whatever veggies and fruit you have on hand-I've used apples, pears, bananas (adds a bit of a banana taste), spinach, etc. Add sugar and cocoa powder to your taste preferences. As described they are semi-sweet and fairly dark chocolate. My non-vegan version is also on this site: http://www.food.com/recipe/healthy-dark-chocolate-brownies-479905
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups oats, ground into flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 pears or 1 apple
- 2 -3 carrots
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds or 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups marshmallows
- 5 -7 dates, soaked in 1 C warm or 5 -7 hot water, for 30 minutes
- 3/4-1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2-1 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1Soak dates in 1 C warm water for 30 minutes- 1 hour (optional-can substitute 1/2 C sugar).
- 2Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan (for thinner brownies). For thicker brownies (over 1/2") use a smaller pan.
- 3Create flax eggs-combining ground flax with 6 T water. Stir and let set for 15 minutes.
- 4In a food processor, combine dates, soaking water, pears, and carrots. Blend until pureed.
- 5In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (cocoa powder, flours, salt, baking soda). Stir to combine and mix in wet ingredients (milk, pureed mixture, vanilla, flax eggs).
- 6Fold in chocolate chips and pour into baking pan.
- 7Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until middle is mostly set. Top with marshmallows and broil for 1-2 minutes until browned.
- 8Remove and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Dark Chocolate Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.3
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 159.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 4.3 g