Recipe by swirlycinnacakes
A simple cupcake
Top Review by beckagator
I made a batch of these and they seemed really dense, but I figured out it was probably because I overstirred them, so just make sure to make a big well with your dry ingredients and then mix only til the big lumps are gone, the little lumps are fine. when I made them this way, it totally changed the texture, they were much lighter and fluffier. I made lemon flavor by replacing the vanilla with lemon extract. I iced them with the vegan buttercream icing found here-- http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-fluffy-buttercream-frosting-290487. They also work with coconut or almond milk.
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the soy milk and vinegar a measuring cup and set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar and vanilla. Stir the dry ingredients and mix until no large lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full and bake for 20-22 minutes till done. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.