Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was inspired by a sweet potato soup recipe I got from a friend. I modified it to be more in keeping with a Nutritarian eating style. It gets its creaminess from cashew cream. You can reduce prep time by using frozen onion and sweet potato. It is good served hot or cold.....For each can of low sodium broth, I substitute 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon VegiZest (from drfuhrman.com) and 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional).
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or 1 cup other non-dairy milk substitute
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 3 (15 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth
- Cashew Cream: Place non-dairy milk and cashews in a high powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Add onion, sweet potatoes, cumin, parsley flakes and broth in a large pot. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking or burning.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Puree with immersion blender until smooth. Add cashew cream and mix well.