Recipe by Lianna Banana
This is my variation of a vegan cream sauce recipe I found on the Internet: http://www.veganwolf.com/recipes/sauces/vegancreamsauce.htm It is a great "milk" gravy, or used as a sauce over pasta or vegetables. For the chicken or beef style flavoring, I use The Vegetarian Express "La Chikky Seasoning" (vegan) or Bill's Best All Vegetable "Beaf" Seasoning (contains food yeast) because they are lower in sodium than most vegetable chicken/beef flavorings I have found. (Their websites are: http://thevegetarianexpress.com and http://www.billsbest.net/) I like to use the Worthington Low Fat FriChik Original, cut into slices or strips and added to this sauce and mixed with cooked noodles for a tasty, vegetarian mock-chicken casserole. I add the FriChick liquid to the sauce, too. (But please note that FriChik is not a vegan product.)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (or vegan margarine)
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups plain soymilk (unsweetened)
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegan chicken style flavoring or 1 teaspoon vegan beef style flavoring
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix up the soy milk (if making it from powdered mix) in a blender.
- Add 1/2 cup raw cashews. Blend.
- Put oil or margarine in sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Add flour and stir with whisk. Add a little more oil if necessary.
- As soon as flour and oil mixture begins bubbling, add soy milk and cashews to flour and oil mixture, and stir till smooth. (It is OK if cashews are not completely ground up.).
- Add salt, flavoring and onion powder. (For cream sauce I tend to use vegetarian chicken flavoring, and for gravy, vegetarian beef flavoring.).
- Stir well.
- Continue to stir as it cooks and thickens, to avoid lumps.
- When thickened and bubbling evenly, it is done.
- It works great as a pasta sauce at this thickness. If necessary, thin slightly with water or soy milk, to consistency desired.