Lianna Banana's Note:
This is my variation of a vegan cream sauce recipe I found on the Internet: http://www.veganwolf.com/recipes/sauces/vegancreamsauce.htm It is a great "milk" gravy, or used as a sauce over pasta or vegetables. For the chicken or beef style flavoring, I use The Vegetarian Express "La Chikky Seasoning" (vegan) or Bill's Best All Vegetable "Beaf" Seasoning (contains food yeast) because they are lower in sodium than most vegetable chicken/beef flavorings I have found. (Their websites are: http://thevegetarianexpress.com and http://www.billsbest.net/) I like to use the Worthington Low Fat FriChik Original, cut into slices or strips and added to this sauce and mixed with cooked noodles for a tasty, vegetarian mock-chicken casserole. I add the FriChick liquid to the sauce, too. (But please note that FriChik is not a vegan product.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix up the soy milk (if making it from powdered mix) in a blender.
- 2Add 1/2 cup raw cashews. Blend.
- 3Put oil or margarine in sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Add flour and stir with whisk. Add a little more oil if necessary.
- 4As soon as flour and oil mixture begins bubbling, add soy milk and cashews to flour and oil mixture, and stir till smooth. (It is OK if cashews are not completely ground up.).
- 5Add salt, flavoring and onion powder. (For cream sauce I tend to use vegetarian chicken flavoring, and for gravy, vegetarian beef flavoring.).
- 6Stir well.
- 7Continue to stir as it cooks and thickens, to avoid lumps.
- 8When thickened and bubbling evenly, it is done.
- 9It works great as a pasta sauce at this thickness. If necessary, thin slightly with water or soy milk, to consistency desired.
Browse Our Top Lactose-Free Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lactose-Free Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Cream Sauce/Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.5
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 143.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: