1/1 Photo of Vegan Cream of Spinach Soup
The Blender Girl's Note:
The best thing about this soup? It takes less than half an hour from chopping board to table; and is dead easy. Unlike starchy soups that need about 30-40 minutes to cook through, this soup only needs about 20 minutes. Just chop up your ingredients, bring to the boil, simmer, blend and serve. I can’t seem to go past using whole roasted garlic in my soups. It just brings a depth of flavour that is hard to beat. I suppose, if you are on a winning blend – just keep spinning. If you want to really “go green”, you can always add in more spinach. But I find this balance of vegetables works well. Once again, I rely on my beloved cashews to cream up this vegan soup. If you have a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix, you will get a soup that is velvety and smooth. Don’t worry if you don’t have one. You will still get a beautiful tasting result. It just won’t be as smooth. You might have some pieces of cashew. But I don’t mind that rustic touch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups raw organic fresh spinach
- 1 cup organic zucchini (about 1 zucchini)
- 1 cup chopped red onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 1/4 cup scallions (about 6) or 1/4 cup green onion (about 6)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a handful)
- 1/4 cup celery (1 large stalk)
- 4 cups strong vegetable broth
- 1 roasted garlic, bulb
- 1/4-1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 dash fresh lemon juice, to taste
- celtic sea salt
- 1Place the garlic whole in the oven on about 400 for about 30 minutes until soft and roasted.
- 2In a saucepan saute onions and scallions with a pinch of celtic sea salt to bring out the sweetness until translucent.
- 3Add in spinach, celery, zucchini and parsley and cook for about 5 minutes.
- 4Add in stock and squeeze in roasted garlic pulp and bring to the boil.
- 5Simmer for about 20 minutes until the veggies are cooked through.
- 6Allow to cool slightly and then puree in the blender with the cashews and
- 7return to the stove to warm and serve.
- 8Serve sprinkled with parsley and a grain ball. YUM!
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Cream of Spinach Soup
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 79.7
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 25.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: