Recipe by hungry vegan
very odd recipe I came up with when I needed to use a head of romaine lettuce, and wanted something warm. The cinnamon and nutmeg give it a comforting sweet-ish taste. Enjoy if you dare to be adventurous! For more "creamier" use more flour, or replace some water with soymilk
- 3 carrots (chopped)
- 20 small mushrooms (chopped-the smaller the better)
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cashews (finely ground)
- 2 tablespoons almonds (finely ground)
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 cup soymilk (fortified with calcium and B12)
- 7 cups water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put romaine lettuce through food processor (or finely grate).
- On medium-high heat, in a pan with 2tbsp olive oil, fry mushrooms, garlic, pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 cup of water, 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pot.
- Add carrots, lettuce, flax seeds and salt to pot.
- In a large bowl mix soymilk, water, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cashews, ground almonds.
- When carrots get soft, dump garlic mushrooms into pot and add flour/water mixture.
- Stir, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- You can put the whole soup through the food processor so it is smooth, or enjoy with yummy chunks of carrot and mushroom -- Great to store extra in fridge and enjoy later.