Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found a few recipe's for Vegetarian Cream of Mushroom Soup but nothing that was completely Vegan. My family is Vegan and wanted to make something special for them. My daughter really likes it.
- 2 lbs sliced mushrooms (fresh organic is the best)
- 1⁄3 cup I Can't Believe It's Not Butter® Spread
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, chopped (to your liking)
- 1⁄2 lb cashews
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (add as little or much as you like)
- 1⁄4 cup mixed Italian herbs (add a little at a time)
- 1 tablespoon salt (add as little or much as you like)
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg (add as little or much as you like)
- In a 4 quart pot, saute the mushrooms in soy butter till they get soft.
- Add the garlic, continue to stir occassionally.
- Saute on low heat for 10 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the cashews with the water.
- The smoother the better.
- Pour pureed cashews into the pot with the mushrooms.
- Add the chili powder, nutmeg, salt and Italian Seasonings.
- Stir frequently until it begins to thicken.
- *you may add corn starch to help thicken the soup, depending on how thick you want it.
- Season to taste, add more flavor by adding more nutmeg and chili powder and garlic powder.
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter ISN'T VEGAN! Use Earth Balance instead. Good recipe aside from that.
This soup is delicious! I was amazed at the flavor. I also tried it with broccoli, yum!
Wow this was good! And really easy. I was initially worried about whether the cashews would completely puree in my blender, but they did and it resulted in a really rich creamy soup that doesn't have strange flavor undertones. I've tried making vegan creamy soups before and this is by far the best. The only thing I changed was that I added a couple teaspoons of better Than Bouillon Un-Chicken base, I just thought it gave it alittle more oomph. I also used Organic Smart Balance instead of ICBINB So I overall love this recipe and will use it again. I think I will try making other vegetable soups this way as well.