Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The creaminess of this soup comes from cashews pureed with vege broth. Not low in fat, but high protein and fiber.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 5 cups vegetable stock or 5 cups bouillon
- 2 yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 1⁄2 cups broccoli, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Put the cashews and 1 cup of the vegetable stock into a blender. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Put the remaining 4 cups vegetable stock, the potatoes and the onion into a large pot. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the broccoli and basil and return to a simmer. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cashew mixture, the salt, the pepper and bring just to a simmer. Remove from the heat, transfer about half of the soup to a blender and puree, or use stick blender. Return the puree to the pot and stir well. Serve immediately.
A fine soup, and very easy to make! My grandma raved about this one and says she wants to share it with all her friends. The blender nearly exploded on step 3, so now I know to just use the immersion and not the upright. I did step 1 as I was waiting for step 2 to finish, shaving a little time off of the 25 minutes.
Love this soup, quick easy, and delicious. Although it used a cup of cashews (hi fat) mine made 10 cups of soup (2 small broccoli heads), the amount of fat per 1 cup serving is relatively small and certainly less that the full-on saturated, fat-laden dairy cream or milk. I wish everyone could taste this soup so that they can see how delicious vegan cooking can be.
This soup is easy to make, and so good and creamy. Much better than store bought. Thank you for sharing your recipe.