Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I came up with this recipe for my mother who is allergic to certain nuts and fruits. The original recipe I altered was an almond biscotti from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson, which I used for measurement reference.
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened (Earth Balance)
- 2⁄3 cup organic sugar
- 2 Ener-G Egg Substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I like vanilla paste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raw unsalted cashews, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy. Blend in the "eggs" and extracts. Mix in the flour and baking soda. Stir in the cranberries and cashews. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Divide the chilled dough in half and shape into a 1 inch-thick rectangular slabs on an lined, oiled baking sheet. Flatten the slabs slightly by evenly patting them down. Bake until they are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 275°F.
- Let slabs cool for 10 minutes, then cut each slab into 1/2 inch-wide slices. Place sliced biscottis on their sides on an ungreased baking sheet (just simply remove the lining from the one you just used) and bake for another 8-10 minutes until they are crisp and dry. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container. They will keep for a few days, but I suggest freezing half. They taste great frozen!
My husband loves biscotti, and he couldn't get enough of these. Thanks for the great healthy recipe I can make any time, since I usually have these staples in the pantry. I thought the cashews and cranberries worked really well together. I used vanilla extract because that's what I had on hand.