1/2 Photos of Vegan Cowboy Tamale Pie
1 hr 30 mins
Yummy and Healthy! This recipe came from a cooking show done by Cinda Sanner on 3 Angel's Broadcasting Network. She has recipe books out, but I'm not sure which one has this delicious dish in it. I made this for two potlucks and everyone loved it both times. I used the vegan cornbread recipe posted on ZAAR by Vino Girl. Tastes great served with our creamy vegan mashed potatoes. Update: If you do use Vino Girl's Vegan Cornbread like I do for the topping, double it to give it the thick cornbread layer like shown in my picture. Otherwise its just a thin crust.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chicken-flavored vegetarian seasoning
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced into large pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes, diced (grape tomatoes are nice)
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained, not rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- cornbread batter
- 1In a large saucepan, steam the onion in the 1 cup of water until the onion is clear.
- 2Add the carrots, garlic and red bell pepper and continue to cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- 3Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Let simmer over low heat for 5 -10 minutes.
- 4Spread a 13” x 9” baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray and pour the mixture into the dish.
- 5Cover with you favorite cornbread recipe and bake according to the cornbread directions until the cornbread is golden brown and completely baked through. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Cowboy Tamale Pie
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.7
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 243.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chicken-flavored vegetarian seasoning
vegetarian refried beans