This is my healthified version of Vegan Cowboy Cookies from the book "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar" by T.H. Romero and I.C.Moskowitz. These cookies are soft and cake-like, but I really liked that. Plus the flavour is still awesome and you can eat a few more of these without breaking your diet. :)
- 2 cups oats (regular or quick-cooking)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour (I used whole spelt flour)
- 1⁄2 cup flour (I used spelt flour)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (or 1/8 cup splenda brown sugar blend)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 cup prepared vanilla soy pudding (or use applesauce)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut, shredded unsweetened and toasted
- 1 cup vegan miniature chocolate chip (semi-sweet)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- In a medium sized bowl combine oats, flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl beat together water, splenda, brown sugar, soy pudding, flax seeds and vanilla using a wire whisk.
- Fold in half of the flour mixture to moisten, then fold in second half. Just before mixture is completely combined, fold in coconut, chocolate chips and pecans. Mixture will be quite runny, but should be managable using a tbs and your fingers. If its too wet, add a few more oats or more flour.
- For each cookie drop 1 heaping tbs of dough onto a paper-lined or greased cookie sheet. Leave about 2 inches of space between each cookie and flatten slightly with moistened fingers.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 350°F/180°C for 14-16 minutes until edges start to brown.
- Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.