Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A super quick and delicious recipe adapted from vegweb.com! I don't like really sweet cornbread, so feel free to sweeten to taste.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup spelt flour (I use white)
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil (or sunflower oil)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients separately, then combine until just mixed.
- Pour into casserole dish, and bake approximately 22 minutes.
- Best served hot out of the oven!
I surprised my dinner guests the other night by whipping this up before dinner as we were talking and having drinks. It turned out perfectly. So vegan or not, this is a great recipe. You could spice it up with some jalepenos or whatever you like - personally I like it simple like this. I used a whole grain cornmeal (Bob's). Thanks Harriet, I'll be making again I'm sure.
Wonderful cornbread Harriet! Never having made cornbread before, I was leery at the huge amt. of baking powder but it was right of course :-) I slightly increased the syrup and omitted the salt (thought there was enough from the baking powder). This was great with a veggie chili, and I'll definetly want to make it again!
Wonderful recipe, even for the baking novice like myself. My fiance and I loved it! I put the batter into a muffin tin and made corn muffins...they were a perfect accompaniment to my red beans and brown rice <3 I will definitely be making these again. I did make a half batch and even though I cut the baking soda in half it was a little metallic but that can be fixed next time.