Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A healthful cornbread recipe originally from PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached flour or 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Combine the soymilk and vinegar and set aside.
- Stir the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then add the soy milk mixture and mix until just blended.
- Spread evenly in a 9 x 9 baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with a nonstick spray and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
This cornbread fell apart and was not very tasty. I think it would benefit from the addition of some fat - margarine or oil, or maybe an egg replacer. I will try it again and see.
I made a half recipe and baked it in a 8 x 4 inch loaf pan. It turned out fine, but too dense for my taste. I would prefer a more tender, light cornbread.