Recipe by Vegetarian Network Austin
This cornbread recipe was used at the VNA's Mad Veggie Scientist Chili cook-off booth in 2007.
Top Review by vegan chef lena
I will definitely make these again. After reading the reviews about crumbliness, I decided to sub brown rice syrup for half the sugar (it's sticky, so it'll make stuff stick together, right?). I also made 12 muffins instead of a pan, and after 20 minutes, they were overdone but they're not crumbly!
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened soymilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Lightly oil a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Combine soymilk and vinegar and let stand.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add soymilk mixture and oil.
- Stir just until blended.
- Spread the batter into pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.